Are you planning a road trip any time soon? You must know that nothing spoils road trips more than broken cars and malfunctions. You do not want be left in the middle of the road without having the tools to get you back on the road or worse, you do not want to endanger yourself and your family in any car accident. Here is a checklist to make sure that you have a safe and hassle-free road trip.
- Check if your tires are in good condition and keep a spare tire. After making sure that all your tires are in good condition and they have sufficient tire pressure, make sure that you keep an inflated spare tire and a toolkit for emergency.
- Keep your car’s manual in your glove compartment. Your car manual contains instructions and information that will help you in case you encounter problems on the road.
- Check the engine oil and have a spare engine oil. Before you go on a road trip, check if you are due for an oil change.
- Check the condition of your battery and examine its physical features. Also, check the battery case and terminals. Clean off corrosion from the terminals if there are any. If there is too much corrosion, remove the terminal so you can clean both sides. See if there are any cracks, leaking, discoloration or leaks so you can replace your battery before your trip.
- Check the brake system. Probably the most important safety feature of any car, the brakes must be in perfect working condition. Check the brake fluid on your brake reservoir.
- Check your air filter. Dirty air filter affects the performance of your car. Usually, it takes months for a car air filter to acquire a significant amount of dirt and gunk. Check if your air filter is dirty then immediately replace it.
- Check your car’s cooling system. You may need a coolant flush or may need to replace worn or broken parts.
- Have your engine belts checked. Replace torn, worn out and broken belts with new ones before your trip.
- Check your air conditioning system.
- Check if you have enough transmission fluid.
- Make sure you pack all the important paperwork in your car like your driver’s license, your car’s registration and the proof of your car’s insurance.
- Pack an emergency and first aid kit.
Now that you’ve got this checklist ready, you are one step closer to ensuring the safety of yourself and your passengers. Keep safe always!
Written by the staff at KB Tire & Auto. KB Tire & Auto is the leading expert in auto repair Moberly MO has to offer.